The latest development in the legal battle betweenKeshaandLukasz “Dr. Luke” Gottwaldmarks a win for the music producer, who sued Kesha in 2014 for defamation after she accused him of drugging and raping her.
Dr. Luke claims that Kesha made up the accusation in order to get out of her recording contract.
Further, the ruling found that Dr. Luke is not a public figure, which had been one of Kesha’s defenses in the suit.
“Though Gottwald has sought publicity for his label, his music, and his artists — none of which are the subject of the defamation here — he never injected himself into the public debate about sexual assault or abuse of artists in the entertainment industry,” said New York Supreme Court Judge Jennifer G. Schechter in his ruling.
“The only reason Gottwald has any public connection to the issues raised in this lawsuit is because they were raised in this lawsuit,” the ruling continued. “That cannot convert him into a limited public figure.”
Thursday’s ruling means the prosecutors in the case will not have to prove “actual malice” on Kesha’s part in trial.
Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images; Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic

“Perryunequivocally testified that Gottwald did not[rape her]. In response, Kesha has not raised a triable issue. There is no evidence whatsoever that Gottwald rapedKaty Perry, or that Katy Perry, whose sworn testimony is unrefuted, must not be believed.”
Kesha, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga.Getty Images (3)

The singer has also been ordered to pay $373,671.88 in interest on a more than $1.3 million royalty payment she made to Dr. Luke’s KMI in August 2017, which was “well beyond the deadlines set forth in the parties’ contract,” according to the ruling.
“Kesha does not dispute the terms of the contract or the calculation of the interest,” the ruling stated.
In response to the ruling, Kesha’s legal team said in a statement to PEOPLE, “Judge Schecter issued rulings today on motions for summary judgment in the Dr. Luke litigation. We disagree with the Court’s rulings. We plan to immediately appeal.”
“Kesha abandoned her meritless case against Dr. Luke more than three years ago,” Dr. Luke’s legal team tells PEOPLE in a statement. “The only remaining lawsuit is Dr. Luke’s case against Kesha for defamation and breach of contract. Dr. Luke is pursuing this lawsuit to seek recovery for the serious harm Kesha’s false accusations of rape have caused Dr. Luke, his family and his business.”
Kesha.Kevin Mazur/Getty

The statement concluded, “Dr. Luke looks forward to the trial of his case where he will prove that Kesha’s other false statements about him were equally false and defamatory.”
source: people.com